Thermodyne Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs with Masala Mash
Thermodyne has done it again!
At Skanos HQ we like to regularly test our equipment as it would be used in a busy catering operation or process kitchen.
Our very own exec chef and National Hotel & Catering Services BDM, Sean Miskin, has slow-cooked up a serious feast in the Thermodyne 200CT slow cook and hold oven.
Here’s his take on this unique equipment, and...as a special treat...the recipe! If you’re in the Hotel, Restaurant and Catering industry and would like to trial this product in your kitchen, get in touch with Sean.
Hello my name is Sean Miskin Executive Chef with over 20 years of experience working in hotels, restaurants, cafes, and entertainment venues across Australia. Recently I had the opportunity to trial the Thermodyne 200CT.
The broad Thermodyne range of commmercial food warmers is perfect for slow cooking, reheating, braising and holding to within 1 degree of your ideal temperature. It allows you to hold your perfectly cooked food in tip top ‘just cooked’ condition throughout service; so I couldn’t wait to test it out.
Check out this amazing juicy beef short ribs recipe. The team were happily fed this day!
Thermodyne Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- 2 kgs Beef Short Ribs (From Your Local Butcher)
- Honey Soy Marinade
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- Tablespoons Masala Spice
- 1 Litre Provencal Sauce (Passata)
- 1 Bunch Coriander
- Mashed potatoes
- 100ml Milk
- Marinate the beef ribs in honey soy. Add the masala spice, garlic cloves and half a bunch of chopped coriander. Combine and leave in the fridge (preferably a Gram ;) for 10 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Pour the provencal sauce into the Thermodyne 65mm pan, add the beef ribs and gently massage the sauce into it.
- Set the Thermodyne to 63°C. Once at temperature, place the 65mm pan with your marinated beef rib mix into the unit and slow cook for 24 hours.
- Return and set the temperature to hold your Beef Ribs to perfection as you prepare the accompaniments for service.
Mashed potato: Add milk and 1x tablespoon of masala spice to your mash. Give it a nice mix and begin plating
NOTE: If you’re serving to order, the Thermodyne beef ribs will hold to temperature despite several door openings. The first dish served will be as quality as the last, thanks to patented fluid shelf technology. The heat is distributed within the shelves so minimal heat escapes the unit.
Sean’s take on the Thermodyne
"I wish I had this appliance when I was catering events. Thermodyne is a game-changer. If you’re catering for a large function of 300+ covers you can sear off your meat and poultry on a char grill, then transfer the products to the Thermodyne to finish the cooking process. Lock in all those tasty juices and hold at the perfect temp while you get busy ensuring you’re ready for service.
Your perfectly cooked product won’t dry out and maintains it’s flavour and appearance for extended time periods. That reduces a lot of stress in the kitchen. AND each compartment has its own lid, so if you’re cooking and holding different produce there’s no risk of cross contamination. Very pleased to be representing this incredible piece of equipment in Australia for the foodservice industry."